Thursday, August 1, 2013

More Than Disney, The Stops We’ll Make Along the Way – Washington DC

I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned this in the past, but Allison and I are planning to drive to Florida and back as part of our Epic Disney Adventure.  We figure that getting to Disney and back has to be as epic as the visit to Disney itself.  For the next few post I’m going to talk about some of the stops we plan on making on our way to and from Walt Disney World.  Most of these “plans” are works in progress, and we’re constantly changing our minds as we go.  Some stops will be long, others only a few hours, but we want to taste a little bit of the USA before we go visit the House of Mouse.

View Larger Map
I've been to many capital cities in my life, all over the world, but I have yet to visit the capital of the United States of America.  I also know very little about this city.  I know what I've seen on television shows and movies, so my expectations are pretty much monuments and museums.  Since we have a limited time here, I'm probably going to stick to my expectations as well.  Our time here is so "limited" that I still don't really know how long we'll have here.  It could be an over night, it could be a meal and one quick visit to one or two monuments.

My advantage, monument wise, is I don't have any connection to any particular monument.  The presidents represented were never my president, and the war monuments are to a country that is not mine.  I'm not putting down their importance by any stretch, I'm just saying that I have no particular monument I need to see.  My choice of monument is more based on what films it's appeared in, and artistic merit.  That's why, if I could only choose one monument to visit in Washington DC, I think it would be the Lincoln Monument.  It looks cool, and it's been in many TV shows and movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment